Tuesday 3 November 2009

Marching on through the novel

Most of you by now should be heading into Chapter 20, and a lot has happened along the way...

The first time I read this (which, incidentally was on a 12 hr train ride from Toronto to NYC), I remember being really suspicious of Quincy Morris - he comes back suddenly into the picture, and then when he shoots the bat (or attempts to) I couldn't help but think that there was more to him ... or perhaps I've been watching too many episodes of 'Columbo' ... it seemed too pathetic to just have him make them jump, and there be no real other discernable reason for the shooting. I suppose it reinforces his Americanness (remembering that that was really still a very new idea), and of course again alerts us to the presence of the bat, but was the window shattering necessary? I'm unconvinced.

In other news, Van Helsing's philosophising provides some interesting rationalising of the presence of the 'Un-Dead' among us. Do we at this point find ourselves becoming convinced by his logic, like Dr Seward? There is, after all, quite a strong message to the contemporary audience, and perhaps to us too, regarding the supernatural, and a deeper spiritual realm, when he says:
Ah, it is the fault of our science that wants to explain it all; and if it explain it not, then it says there is nothing to explain. But yet we see around us every day the growth of new beliefs, which think themselves new; and which are yet but the old which pretend to be young - like the fine ladies at the opera.
Remember at this time that science was replacing religion as the main guiding factor. As it advanced rapidly, people became more and more obsessed with the idea of fact, and being able to prove things, as the structure of the novel emphasises. Whatever Stoker's metaphorical message, it is certainly true that the logical and rational argument laid out by Van Helsing is carefully thought out to make most sense to the discerning late Victorian reader... Shame the accents are less convincing eh?!

1 comment:

  1. Quincey Morris's shooting was definitely a peculiar thing but for some reason I did not feel at all suspicious of his intentions. At the moment I fully trust all the heroic protagonists and even though there is no primary account of Morris and Holmwood's experiences such as the others who have written journals I do not see any wrong in their doings. Maybe I'm putting in too much trust but time will tell as I come towards the ending chapters of the book.
    As for the passage you have referenced to, I did make a reflection as well about Gothic coming about as resistance to science and its complete belief in facts while abandoning imagination. What grips me most is how we are enchanted by the fast and dark pace of the book now that much has been revealed and put to light. I am now in chapter 25 and the heroes are about to make way to Transylivania and I cannot wait for the final confrontation. I should like to watch the movie as well now to see if it meets much of the expectations or not.

    ReplyDelete